The Junior League of Denver Public Policy Council is the liaison between our membership, the community and the agencies we serve and our elected officials. We research issues affecting the JLD, keep the League informed on areas of interest, and advise when action is appropriate.
The JLD has a proud history of public policy and advocacy. In 1987 it was the first League in the United States to hire a government affairs specialist. Since then the Public Policy Council has worked closely with our government affairs specialist, Aponte & Busam, to monitor, advocate, and support various important pieces of legislation at the State Capitol.
In recent years, the League has supported a variety of legislation addressing:
- Literacy/child education issues
- Child health issues
- Women’s health issues
- Women’s self-sufficiency issues
- Affordable childcare
The Council with support from League members has played a role in influencing and shaping public policy at the Colorado State Capitol. The Council has focused efforts on Early Childhood Education issues to support the League-wide focus on literacy. Additional policies to support working families and women have been key priorities for the Council, with a specific focus on Affordable Child Care policies. In addition to legislative advocacy, the Council has a focus on training League members to be advocates in their own communities.
Specific actions in 2017 include:
- Hosted Affordable Child Care Roundtable meetings with community partners
- Facilitated ballot initiative training for JLD members
- Planned October General Meeting with voter engagement and candidate presentation
- Hosted Legislator Breakfast with over 25 legislators and staff in attendance
- Tracked 15 bills and actively engaged in six, including legislator outreach and testimony
- Hosted legislators at monthly Council meeting to discuss relevant policy issues
- Planned March General Meeting with Affordable Child Care panel discussion
- Held monthly Public Policy Council meetings
We welcome input from the community and all League members. Together we can make an impact on important legislative issues that help improve our Denver metro community.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.